A Wicklow mum who developed an App with her daughter, for people with Autism is our current Emerging Social Entrepreneur! Lisa Domican, originally from Australia but now living in Greystones, created the Grace App with her daughter Grace - it helps people with communication difficulties, including autism, acquired brain injury and stroke, to communicate their needs independently.Lisa explains how the Grace App works: “Pictures selected on the App via the iPhone or iPad form a sentence that can be shared with other people. This encourages independent social interaction and the development of speech, supporting the inclusion and independence of people with special needs.” The App has been available to buy since 2010 and has won some impressive awards.
- In February 2012, Lisa was declared the David Manley Emerging Social Entrepreneur for 2012;
- In October 2011, she was cited as one of “One Hundred Women by One World Action” as one of the Unseen Powerful Women who change the world in the area of business and entrepreneurs;
- In September 2011, Lisa won the ‘Women Mean Business Big Idea Award 2011’ for Grace App Communications;
- She was a Finalist in Social Entrepreneurs Ireland Social Impact Awards and Winner of the Elevator Program for 2011 for Grace App Communications;
- In December 2010, the Grace App won UNESCO, World Mobile Summit Award e-Learning and Education www.wsa-mobile.org/news;
- In October 2010, Grace App won Best Mobile App (With Vinny Coyne's Eirtext) at Irish Web Awards 2010.