I was moderating the session in Northern Ireland and belief it or not, when you are moderating you are not listening to what your participants are saying. All you focus on is the queue to move to next panellist and panicking about the next question to ask. Sometime you also forget the names of the panellist and it moves from panic to internal hyperventilation.
What did I learn?
Had George, Dermot, Grainne and Dan on the panel. Flemming-Agri, golfstoreeurope.com, Bubblebum and webportglobal/world trade centre. Trying to remember what I learned:
- Watch payment by credit cards. Lots of fraud, so make sure you fraud score before you decide to despatch.
- Your product will be copied and you need to consider how you will enforce protection
- Do not compromise on quality and stay true to your beliefs
- Trust your gut instinct
- Always get paid up front
- Watch the paperwork
- Do your market research, particularly the local legislations and regulations
- Immerse yourself in the product and the market
- There are some really interesting technology platforms around that do not cost much to deploy
- It is not that difficult to export
- It is not that easy to export
- Watch the price waterfall and if you can go directly to distributors
- Make sure your that your re-seller are committed
- Localise the web experience (language, currency, pricing)
- Not everything is cheaper on the internet
I missed lots and that shows the depth of what you can learn from the Business Live event. Don’t take my word for it. This is a sample of the e-mails we got:
Thoughts on the show
“Congratulations on the event last night and great to see the large turnout. I was impressed by the panel and was able to speak to most of them who have been there are can offer different advice on exporting”
“I wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for organising & holding last nights Business Live event in the 'Verbal Arts Centre' in Derry.
Your hard work & much preparation culminated in a really successful, well attended evening which generated considerable contributions from many in the audience. The panel was excellent and clearly had engaged the audience.
I received many compliments on your behalf during the reception afterwards”
Hope to see you at the next event. Register here to book your place.
Post by Ron Immink, co-founder of Small Business Can